Just outside the ‘Batman River’ (now Yarra River) in Port Phillip Bay, ‘the Beach’ an early settlement in 1839 was described as a sand ridge, which was to become its name with tea trees on its shores and a suitable place to graze sheep.
Father of Port Melbourne
A bit about ‘the Beach’: Very early to settle on this beach and promote the area was Wilbraham Frederick Evelyn Liardet (known as the ‘founder of Port Melbourne’) and his family. He built the original ‘Pier Hotel’ which has retained the same name. There was a problem with muddy tracks in those days, a better road was constructed by the Liardet family, and it was to become Bay St.
Goods & people began to move through settlement from the beginning and ‘Sandridge’ became a port and a township.
The gold rush announced in 1851, brought wealth and prosperity. Piers and jetties were improved in a rush. The Hobson Bay Railway Company rushed to build Australia’s first railway that ran from Flinders St to Port Melbourne Station—opened in 1854 with much fanfare.
Port Melbourne Station opened for goods & passengers.
Now, people from far and wide use the 109 tram at the Port Melbourne Station. Travellers from the cruise ships and the ‘Spirit of Tasmania’ pass through as well as locals from Beacons Cove and Port Melbourne water front precinct. It can be a busy place at times.